BDI is looking for a certified bridge inspector/ engineer to join our team in Metairie, LA. BDI is involved with many different civil structure project types including advanced bridge inspection, non-destructive evaluation (NDE), and structural testing, monitoring, and engineering (TM&E). This posting is focused on finding a self-motivated inspection team lead as well as an engineer to assist in structural analysis. However, the person in this position will likely be involved with a variety of our NDE & TM&E projects. This is an excellent opportunity to work in a growth-oriented professional consulting group where you will work with and be mentored by senior technical staff.
Supporting the TM&E and NDE Divisions both in the office and in the field. This position will involve, but shall not be limited to the following:
- Managing and performing advanced inspection of concrete & steel structures as the inspection team lead.
- Overseeing field testing/inspection work to ensure quality of testing and data collection.
- Development of testing procedures and data collection plans for advanced inspection techniques including GPR, thermal scanning, drone-based inspection, and other advanced inspection techniques.
- Data review and interpretation
- Finite element modeling and structural analysis
- Report development and writing
- Use of various design codes in analysis
- Willing to travel 50%+ of the year, depending on project locations not only in Louisiana but all round the United States.
Depending on your interest and skill, other responsibilities while not working on inspection projects could include:
- Nondestructive evaluation and structural testing of bridges, dams, telecommunication towers, and other civil infrastructure
- Analysis and reporting of structural data
- Performing various engineer tasks
- Development of instrumentation plans and testing documents
- Project preparation, testing and packing
- Physical labor while on job sites
- Working at heights and on ropes
- Bridge inspection and load ratings
- Jobsite engineering decision-making
- Updating documents and photos once returned from field
- Bachelor’s degree of Civil Engineering
- Certified inspector in Louisiana
- EIT required, PE preferred
- 1-4 years of bridge inspection experience
- Excellent communication skills
- Willing to travel (50%+ field work)
- Willing to work out in the field
- Experience with hand tools
- 1-3 years of structural engineering experience (design, analysis, or construction management)
- Instrumentation/testing/monitoring/structural health monitoring experience
- AutoCAD experience
- AASHTO experience
- Programming experience (MATLAB, Python, VBA, among others)
- Construction industry experience
- Finite element modeling experience
- Load rating experience
- Strong structural mechanics background
Total compensation is based on level, years of experience, education, certifications, cost of living, and several other factors. The total compensation range is a good faith estimate with non-guaranteed discretionary elements.
Compensation Range: Low: $50,000- High: $75,000
Background and Philosophy
BDI is a nationally recognized leader in testing, monitoring, and nondestructive evaluation of civil structures. The company started over 30 years ago and has helped shape the current industry standards of testing and monitoring of structures. Through its history of testing over 1,000 structures, BDI has touched some of the most iconic infrastructure in the world. BDI works with a wide variety of clients from DOTs, Public Utility Districts, the US Army Corps of Engineers, consulting engineering firms, academic institutions, design-build teams, P3s, and private infrastructure owners. The variety of work and exposure to some of the most interesting civil infrastructure projects on a day-to-day basis at BDI is what excites and retains our staff the most.
When you join BDI, you will enjoy a unique and welcoming culture, focused on delivering best practices. You will find that we offer a collaborative and supportive environment, allowing you to do your best work. We encourage all of our employees to strive for personal excellence and to act with integrity and honesty. We are looking for candidates who enjoy delivering innovative, value-based solutions for our clients and who have a desire to learn, grow and have fun doing it. Those who take initiative and who are self-motivated will thrive in BDI’s environment. If you are looking for an exciting career with the opportunity to work on a wide variety of unique structures, BDI may be the place for you. If you have a taste for adventure, enjoy traveling, and like challenging work, then this position is right for you.