BDI has an immediate need for a Heavy Equipment Operator in our Fredericksburg, Virginia office. Please submit cover letter and resume describing how your experience, education, and qualifications align with the position. Those without cover letters to provide context to their resume will not be considered.
You will be working with a small team of professionals who are bringing cutting edge technology and innovation to the Testing, Evaluation, and Monitoring of Civil Infrastructure. Your primary responsibility will be to operate heavy equipment to allow the team to access the areas where the work is being performed. Projects are primarily related to the Transportation and Hydro-engineering sectors. Responsibilities associated with this position will include:
- Provide support to successful completion of construction and engineering work
- Operate all heavy equipment like cranes, UBIT, and other related equipment.
- Operate the equipment in the right direction and angles to prevent accidents and damage of property.
- Ensure and manage the machines or equipment in a safe and secure way.
- Perform periodical safety, maintenance, or servicing checks to ensure proper functioning of the equipment.
- Perform minor repair works during functioning problems
- Inform and advise the management or repairmen for major repairs or maintenance
- Drive and control the equipment
- Perform road work, excavation work, lifting work, etc.
- Respond to signals and directions by the staff and work in coordination with them
- Maintain proper coordination and cooperation with the road and transport system while driving/working, so that the normal activities are not disrupted.
- Operate the equipment manually and also through the use of electronic or technical methods of operation.
- Work in adherence to safe practices, procedures, work site or traffic laws.
- Maintain a database in the computer to record daily activities, inventory chart, etc.
- Report to the senior operation manager
- Perform other duties, as and when assigned
A heavy equipment operator must possess knowledge to perform his/her job satisfactorily. The essential criteria must include the knowledge of:
- Heavy equipment operation including
- Maintenance and repair of heavy and power-driven equipment
- New methods and techniques of operation and the parts of the equipment
- Workplace safety practices
- Both manual and electronic operations
- Experience working in a field position with corporate governance.
- Experience in managing a dynamic fast-paced, high-growth environment.
- Extensive field experience in civil infrastructure is desired.
- Willing to accept overnight and multi-day travel assignments for projects and business development (up to 75%).
- Experience with hand tools and construction.
Skills and Abilities
- Must have physical ability to stand strenuous and dangerous work environmental
- Possess physical strength to operate heavy and power-driven equipment
- Ability to work in teams
- Ability to communicate and interact both verbally and written
- A keen eye to details and good decision-making skills
- Manage to handle emergency situations, work pressure and stress
- Ability to complete work projects on time and in an effective manner
- Possess a deep analytical understanding and problem-solving skills
- Devoted in following code of ethics
- Can work independently with minimum supervision
- Good relationship building ability
- Flexible to work during odd hours
Training and Qualifications
- High School diploma or equivalent
- CDL Class A in good standing required
- Clean drivers record required
- Heavy equipment endorsements desired
Job Type: Full-time
Please apply by sending a cover letter and resume, outlining all job-related certifications and experience you hold as well as current or desired salary to firstname.lastname@example.org addressed to Nathan Dubbs, Associate Vice President.
Background and Philosophy
BDI is a very dynamic, growing company that thrives on the creativity and ideas of its employees. As a BDI employee, you will be asked to not only work on existing projects but also help obtain new projects by creating, maintaining, and utilizing a professional network. We are essentially looking for someone who is self-motivated, dependable and interested in exciting work. Depending on the project, long hours will be necessary at times and, as a team member, you may be called to assist a crew (both onsite and remotely) with short notice.
BDI does not just to provide you a job, but rather an opportunity and a challenge. No need to apply if you are looking for a comfortable, predictable, 9-to-5 position. However, if you have a taste for adventure, enjoy traveling, and like challenging yet sometimes difficult work, and love being part of a winning team then this position may be right for you.